The Critics Choice Awards, the Golden Globe Awards, the Screen Actors Guild Awards and, of course, the Academy Awards are finally history and upon reflection, they couldn’t have ended fast enough!
2018 was a very good year for films but Awards Season? I have no idea what some guilds and voting bodies were thinking! Some honors were rightfully deserved. Others? Mind-racking. Now that the dust is settled let’s examine what I think went right and what went wrong:
- Of course “the firsts”-As Hollywood celebrated the achievements in film from 2018, many notable accomplishments from Black Panther being the first superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture in any ceremony, to Spike Lee receiving his first crop of nominations including the Oscar nom for Best Director for BlacKkKlansman, Roma doing Netflix proud as an awards season darling, including being the first production from the streaming giant to be a Best Picture nominee, there is a lot of good to take in from this year’s class of elite films of the year!
- Diversity-though women-directed movies fell short of recognition, women themselves made a splash when it came to great accomplishments in film. From Ruth Carter and Hannah Beachler making historic wins at the Oscars, to Regina King and Olivia Colman winning their first Oscars for If Beale Street Could Talk and The Favourite. Diversity in the film industry may be making slow progress but the impact women are making in the film industry cannot be denied.
- A faster pace?-Surprisingly, the Oscars without a host worked! Watching the ceremony on Sunday night, it felt faster, there was no filler, it was somewhat entertaining; I didn’t expect to like the fact that there was no Master of Ceremonies but I wound up enjoying the format of an Oscars without a host and I wouldn’t mind seeing them roll with no host going forward.
- Some pictures didn’t get their due-All of this year’s Oscar nominees for Best Picture went home with at least one win but to be honest, some of the nominees should have went home with more than one! Some pictures like A Star is Born should have been recognized for more than just Best Original Song and it would have been nice to see Roma, The Favourite or BlacKkKlansman go home with more than what they received.
- Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book-I have no idea what the hell Hollywood was thinking! I would not bestow accolades upon a movie as messy as Bohemian Rhapsody or as mediocre as Green Book. Period! When Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody won big at not only the Golden Globes but the Academy Awards, my respect for the entities known as the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences plummeted from the sky!
That is a wrap on 2018 and it was just ugly to see how Hollywood honored the elite films of last year! I’m sorry but it’s true!