Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was my most looked forward to film of 2016. It bombed. Badly. The aftermath of the highly anticipated follow-up to Man of Steel sent shockwaves reverberating throughout Warner Bros; some new additions were made, some losses were suffered, things had to be shuffled around and yet, it is all leading up to Justice League, the film that will bring together the major heroes of the DC Universe to combat a never-before-seen threat to Earth and humanity. Today, a major announcement has been issued regarding the production of Justice League, including a new logo and a new synopsis.
Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions-via Collider
Here is what is known about Justice League at this point in its production:
- Batman will assemble the team with the assistance of Wonder Woman
- The film is essentially a recruiting story; how the team is brought together
- The League will consist of Batman (Ben Affleck), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), The Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher)
- Superman (Henry Cavill) will return in the film, perhaps after the climax or prior to the 3rd act
- Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) will play an unspecified role in the feature
- J.K. Simmons (Commissioner Gordon), Amber Heard (Mera) and Willem Dafoe (Vulko) are confirmed for Justice League
- Steppenwolf has been confirmed to be the antagonist of the film. He has yet to be cast
- The three Mother Boxes are of interest to Steppenwolf and have a connection to both Wonder Woman and Aquaman
- The tone of Justice League will be lighter than that of Batman v. Superman
- Justice League will NOT be a two-part feature. Instead the story will be condensed into one film with the possibility of a sequel or two to introduce Darkseid
- The film will occur several months after the events of Batman v. Superman
- Junkie XL will score the film; Hans Zimmer has elected to retire from scoring superhero genre films but his themes from the previous films will be utilized
- Fabian Wagner is in charge of cinematography; he will take over for Larry Fong
- Geoff Johns will step in and act as a producer/godfather for not only Justice League but for all upcoming DC-based feature films in the future.
- Ben Affleck has been promoted to be an executive producer on the film while shaping his upcoming Batman feature
Zack Snyder will return to direct and the screenplay will once again by crafted by Chris Terrio. Also Amy Adams and Jeremy Irons are also on board the cast. Justice League will bow into theaters on November 17, 2017.